[ST] New Dawg

Evenin?all listers.

Please let me re-introduce myself after a period of
disappearance caused by the fact that my mutant
version of MS Outlook wouldn?t allow me to write in
plain text, and work getting in the way of  life.
Thanks to Eric (who has the patience of a saint) I?m
now writing from  ksmith955@xxxxxxxxxxx, but receiving
at work on ksmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I?m based in London, with a black 99 Sprint ST, with
c. 13.5k on the clock. V 159 LGF (aka Logoff).  Bought
in Feb 2000 at 1,600 miles.  Changed OE tyres at 8,500
(I?m only 10st, so get good tyre wear and fuel
consumption.  This gives me about the same power to
weight ratio as my 15st mate on his R6, and I don?t
get blisters gearchanging either).  Running BT020s,
but finding they squirm more on overbanding than OE,
so may go to Azaros.  Have following goodies:  grips,
Nuovo double-bubble screen (great improvement),
hugger, big Scottoiler (which is fine, except that
rear disk gets misted if you forget to turn the wick
down after riding in the rain), carbon fibre can and
s/w mod, rack and Triumph Givi top-plate (because
ex-spouse says I can only take 10 year old offspring
on back with top box on to prevent him getting lost),
and Baglux.

Only problems were 1 litre of oil consumed between 6
and 12 k, traced to oil breather valve thingy on left
crankcase cover which got replaced under warranty.
Front brake also seems to need pumping up
occasionally, even after dealer fluid change and new
washers at 12k.  Anyone had any problems with this,
because brakes have definitely lost their edge?  Oh
yes, and OE chain was at the end of adjustment at 6K,
which I thought was totally outrageous, but I think I
saw somewhere that it is a common problem.  Since
fitting Scottoiler at 6k, chain has been adjusted once
(at 12 k service), which I find equally amazing!

I?m intrigued to read of tales of bad running at low
revs and nut-loosening vibes.  At the 6k service, the
dealer found that one of the butterflies was not
closing properly ? only a matter of less than two thou
of an inch.  They said (somwhat amazed that the vibes
hadn?t got to me) that I should notice an improvement.
 Much to my delight, I did ? I guess I had just
assumed all trips felt like old 180 degree Laverda
triples (RIP), and that a bit of harshness was (ahem)
character! That, and combination of carbon silencer,
makes the whole plot incredibly fluid driving in town,
and perfectly adequate outside (in the way that the
Bentley Corniche?s power output is described as
?adequate? ? not that I would have any first
experience of such matters).  I wonder if US bikes are
set up to run leaner than to UK/Europe/AUS bikes?

I have to say the list is a lot of fun, and even
though I?ve been lurking recently (with IT probs and
having to work occasionally), enjoy being part of the
community.  However, it did occur to me that the stuff
going on around  Friday 13 th was particularly
ill-tempered.

Martin, your Intel-inside stickers cracked me up ? the
more so since as an in-house lawyer, one of the perks
of the job is getting to write scary letters to
would-be intellectual property right infringers, so
I?ll be in touch off-list  (No. I don?t work for
Intel!).

Thanks all you people for the Zaino info.  I ride
every day, all weathers (not yet ridden in Texas heat
or Florida humidity though ? just good old London crud
and the odd stationary very wet low pressure system in
northern France), so my bodywork gets hard use,
especially where knees interface with plastic, for
some reason.  T-cut and Turtlewax don?t really do the
trick, so I?ll let y?all know how I get on.

BTW, I am intrigued by all this Dawg stuff.  How does
one apply, or is it more like grabbing a domain name ?
Assuming the latter, I hereby give notice of my
intention to adopt the handle ?Reservoir Dawg?, on the
basis of any of the following:

1. 	 I too wear a dark suit when going about my
business,

2.	I have had no problems at all with fuel senders,
pipes, pumps, lights or reserves, which all work as
Mr. Triumph and God intended (so far),and

3.	(if that to too smug by half ? and I?m happy humbly
to accept your collective judgment on the point), the
best place for such a smug bastard (and a lawyer to
boot) is at the bottom of a reservoir (da ? da!)

Over and out

Kevin
99 ST