Re: [ST] Helmet sizing

At 01:11 PM 7/18/2001 -0500, Eric Mann wrote:
> ... snip ...
> Now, my question is this: since I really like a couple of the features on
>my
> Shoei (no-brainer shield replacement, visor lock to hold the visor slightly
> open, finish, padding), is there one of the other Shoei models with a
> removable liner (since the RF-900 does not have a removable liner, I don't
> think) with different thickness pads to make it fit?  And of those other
> model Shoeis, are any of them the same type shell design as the RF-900 - in
> other words that fit the LO (or Signet/GT) head shape that I have?  Or, do
> start over and learn how to use the Arai features and buy an off the shelf
> XL that seems to fit just about right?
>
> And this debate really isn't about wind noise so much as it is about fit
> ... snip ...

Eric,
I was and in a way still looking to replace my old Shoei RF-800. I went to
Cycle Gear  where they have a 30-day exchange or refund on helmets. I
thought I'd spend the extra $$ to get one that fits and support a West
Coast franchise.

Although I have a round oval head Arai Quantum/f head, I bought a Signet
(long oval) instead. The fix it good a bit tight around my cheeks but fits
around my head, forehead and chin. The lightness is a plus as the Arais are
purported to be lighter than any Shoei (who knows?). I am getting used to
the vent openings and visor operation.  My RF-800 is a bit quieter than
this Signet.

But now, after a couple commutes, I think I may go back, spend a little
more money on a Quantum/f as the fit is much better all around. The
tightness is getting to me. I am torn though whether to return the helmet
for a refund and buy from one of the online helmet stores as the price
difference is $80+.

Hope my little dilemma helps,

- --
Tai "Dawg Leg" Day