[ST] My turn

Well, I've joined the ranks of Sprint owners who have felt the "ultimate
lean angle".  :-(

The story starts with me saying it's ALL my own fault. I had new BT-020's
installed Thursday, 19JUL. After the shop closed for the day, I joined the
owners and 8 others for an evening group ride, to scrub in the new tires. I
knew the roads, so that wasn't an issue.

I had taken several turns, all very moderate pace and lean angle, very
conservative, very smooth. (The few of you who have ridden with me know I am
smooth, if nothing else.)

One slightly off-camber left hand 90 degree turn, I slowed to 20-25 mph.
I've taken it much faster before, but new tires....duh. The lean angle is
exceeding my input, WTF? Uh oh....and then there was contact. Just as smooth
as the turn in. I let go of the bike as soon as we touched down, and watched
helplessly as the left foot paeg and shifter turned out a shower of sparks.
The bike spun 90 degrees, and the tailsection stopped hard against the grass
berm on the side of the road.

I got right up, still in shock. I checked, nothing hurts bad, and everything
is working. I felt a little sting on my left arm. Seems I got a wee bit of
thru-the-leather road rash on my left forearm, and a day later, my left
bicep is still sore. That's it, sum total of injury for a 15 meter slide on
the pavement. My First Gear leather jacket (non-armored, hence the rash),
the First Gear Flightline leather pants, Triumph RS (CF) gloves, Sidi
Vertbra boots, and Arai Quantum E helemt all did their job, and are ready
for another day. (Though I'll replace the Scout jacket with a new-version
S-Pilot).

I was able to continue the ride, then went home. What a hero, huh?

The bike will need a new left fairing, all the bodywork from the gas tank
back, rear fender/taillamp assembly, left main footrest, shift lever, front
turn signal. The left bar looks a little tweaked, and the magnesium cover on
the motor on that side is ground thin. The sidestand, left fork lower, left
bar end and clutch lever all show some grind, I'll fix most of that in the
machine shop I work at.

Anyone want to offer where to get the best prices on these parts I need? I
know Jack Lilley is good, anything in the US competitively priced?

thanks,

Ken M.
'00 Sprint RS, now broken