From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Chris
Strizver
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 8:59 PM
To: triumph
Subject: [ST] Gas mileage, lanesplitting, Laguna, 'n Tahoe

Well, I talked with my dealer today about my gas mileage. I kept very good
track of my mileage for 1,987.1 miles over 11 fill-ups, figuring that this
would correct for filling variations. I averaged 43.79 US miles per gallon.
My best was 48.09 and I had to work for it: Speedo reading not over 80mph,
chin glued down to tank bag, and a fair bit of drafting going on. My worst
was 36, which is odd because that was a 147 mile freeway run (perhaps
filling variations?). Luckily, my dealer also rode a sprint down to Laguna
and averaged over 50! He agrees that something is amiss and is going to call
Triumph for ideas. I'll let everyone know how this develops. Other than
that, the bike ran perrrrrrrrrfectly over the 2,200 mile trip.

The Redwood highway 199 from Grant Pass, OR to highway 101 would be a hell
of a lot of fun if it weren't for rock blasting, resurfacing, more rock
blasting, followed by restriping. All told, about 1 1/2 hours of delays. I
got a few honks 'n yells as I moved up to the front of a 1/2 mile line
waiting for a pilot car. Figured either pass 'em here where its safe, or
later when its not.

Thanks to all of the advice on lanesplitting. It kept me relatively safe,
and I had a blast! No, splitting isn't something that I'll go seek out, but
for lack of something better to do... At one point there was a line of over
50 bikes splitting in a jam near Monterey on 101. And yes, while most cages
will actually give you more room, there were a few a-holes that deliberately
squeezed you. Made me want to rig up a pump/nozzle setup with some paint
eating chemical pointed out of my saddle bag. One time I came upon a group
of 4 bikers who had ducked into a lane for no apparent reason. Then I
noticed the CHP a few cars up that they were hesitant to pass. I eased on by
them and the officer with no incident.

If you're ever in the Tahoe area, take Highway 88 from Jackson to South
Lake. What a ride!

Chris Strizver
'00 Blue ST

*