[ST] Connecticut, Cape Cod and Vanson Leathers

This past week my family went to Cape Cod for a little vacation. We were
all going to pile into the mini van, pick up my mother-in-law in
Hartford and drop our dog off at my mother's in West Hartford. My son,
Colin, recommended that I take the Blue Devil. You don't need to tell me
twice!

I rode up to Hartford on Sunday afternoon, solo. Rode up on the Merrit
Parkway at a nice leisurely pace. Monday morning I left Hartford for
Cape Cod with Colin as pillion. I took 84 to 384 to 85 to 207 to 138 to
169 to 14 to 395 to 6 to RI. Plenty of hills and beautiful scenery. At
one point I said to myself, "This is what I miss most about Connecticut."

Rhode Island. Flat. Just like the rear brake pissing contest. BOR-ING.
Super-slabbed it to the Cape. Route 6 is not much more exciting. The
biggest problem is a 13 mile stretch of one lane in each direction with
a median lump. No guardrails, just a 13 mile long speed bump with those
plastic 3 foot high poles. Stuck behind a camper. I would lay down on
the tank and let Colin get a blast of air. He was having fun.

On to Friday's ride home. Nobody wanted to ride with me so I could get a
little more daring on the ride home. It also occurred to me that I would
be going through Fall River, MA, home of Vanson Leathers. It took a
short search to find it. When I pulled up two women were sitting on the
stoop having a butt break. "Nice jacket," said one. "Thanks. I'm glad I
found you." "Nice pants!"

Well, I could have easily spent a ton of money in there. I settled for a
back protector and a bottle of leather conditioner. I asked if they
could do something about one of my velcro tabs that was coming loose.
The woman took my jacket out back and returned in two minutes with the
loose tab and the tab on the other side resewn. No charge.

What bunch of incredibly friendly people in there! While moving around
doing their jobs they managed to chat. It turns out that the owner is a
Norton fanatic. Several Nortons were sitting amongst the racks. There
was also the remnants of what appeared to be a Matchless. Anyway, I
heartily recommend that if you are in the northeast stop in. Great
leather. Great people. No, I don't own stock, just a jacket and two
pairs of pants. Their open house weekend is in September.

http://www.vansonleathers.com/

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country