[ST] Harleys

Well, I just survived an interesting H-D experience. My local club ran a
'try a Harley' day today. I tried two: the FLHR Road King, and the FXD Dyna
Super Glide. Both with 88 cubic inch engines (that's 1450cc to us limeys). I
had a go on a 1000cc ironhead Sportster several years ago and was not
impressed, so wanted to try the bigger/newer engine.

The Road King was monstrous. About 340 kg of footboards and chrome nacelle
and enormous cow-horns and barn door screen and big panniers and spotlights
and heel/toe gear-change. Deep two-piece armchair seat. Not as extreme as
the Ultra Glide though, which has the topbox/stereo/intercom, and is 370 kg!
We went out with a leader on a 15-mile route, mostly country lanes, some
dual carriageway. The thing certainly had 'road presence', I'll give it
that, it demanded respect (in much the same way as an articulated lorry
does). At/near standstill it was a real handful, and even with it's 27"
flat-footing seat height you could really feel the weight, but on the move
it was easy enough. It wallowed in bends yet was harsh over potholes. But it
made a fabulous 'bang every other lamp-post' sound. It didn't like to rev,
so it was basically a question of getting up to 5th then staying there - it
has something like 85 ft-lbs of torque at 2500 rpm! I couldn't get on with
the footboards, which actually forced my feet too far forward for best
comfort, and made braking difficult, and caught my calves when paddling
about. But the engine was very soft and flexible and dead easy to use.
Overall verdict: an impressive white elephant. Well, it was a tasty Jade
Green actually.

The Dyna Super Glide was surprisingly different. It has the same 88" engine,
but 'tuned' (ha) to give it's best torque at a heady 3500 rpm. No screen.
High but comfy straight bars. Footpegs instead of boards, and in a very
natural and comfy position too. A normal gear-change. Somewhere in between
the spartan Sportster and the more luxurious King. A mere 270 kg, and
carrying it's weight low too, so much easier to manage. This had a less
ridiculous but still broad and well-upholstered one-piece stepped seat, was
very comfy indeed, soaked up rough roads, felt secure and loved to be
countersteered through twisty bits, and generally rode and handled
surprisingly well. It's acceleration was better too, almost dare I say
'brisk', and it actually benefitted from the odd gear change if you wanted
to go faster, making a deep bellowing roar in the process. Nice mellow
vibes. This was much more 'me'! Mine was 'Diamond Ice' (i.e. grey), but if I
was buying new I'd pick the gorgeous metallic 'Classic Red' (deep maroon).
Verdict: better than expected. Much better. In fact, when I get too old to
manage the Sprint RS any more ...

Barry