[ST] Re: help

>Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 21:16:42 -0400
>From: Eric Sheley <Eric@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ST] Fwd: help
>
>Anyone had this happen ?
   <snip>
>>When turning to the right (max turn on the bars) the bike
>>will rev up to 6k.

It sounds like the throttle cable is binding, but I doubt if a bind at the
handlebar would cause the rpm to rise when turned to the right.  I could see
the rpm not dropping perhaps, but IMHO the difference in length/leverage
between the cable end at the grip and the binding point just below the
switch housing is not enough to actually PULL the cable so that the rpm's
would rise several K.  I had a GSXF750 that would behave this way if you
weren't very careful with how you re-routed the throttle cable when
re-attaching the tank after servicing (which was too often).

That being said, I've never removed the tank on my ST, so I could be way off
(I'm not a mechanic).

- -John Hickman
1999 ST bug guts red
Lexington, KY