Re: [ST] Update on "runs like crap" ST

Steve,

I had similar problems. Not exactly the same, but similar. My stepper motor was
bad. Once it was replaced things got better. I still have some problems below 3500
rpm, but the loss of power at  low revs and poor idle is fixed. Have them run the
specific stepper motor diagnostic when everything is hot. Don't give it any cool
down time. The stepper motor must be hot. Mine would pass the test when cool and
fail the test when hot. It wasn't showing any computer errors, but would fail the
diagnostic completely when hot. I'm running with tune #10 and will upgrade to the
latest soon.

jhs

Steve Bergman wrote:

> Well...another day another very disappointing talk with my mechanic.  He really
> is working very hard on this and the more he does the more I believe he is
> doing all the right things and that this is some kind of deeper problem than
> one would think.
>
> The problem:  Idles poorly, burns more fuel than it should, Accelerates
> perfectly, under 5000 rpm runs fine.  Over 5000 rpm when you try to hold a
> steady speed it runs like crap.  Bucks & surges etc.
>
> To date he has checked (that I know):  Compression, throttle bodies, ECM, Tune
> #'s 8, 10, 11, and today 12! (with an altogether different ECM), Coolant Temp.
> sensor, new plugs, fuel pump pressure, Stepper motor housing leaked and was
> repaired to no avail.  I'm sure there's more but I don't have a written record
> so it is hard for me to relate precisely all of the work.
>
> This problem has been being worked on (off & on) since April.  The bike has
> currently been in the shop for 36 days now.
>
> Tonight he will check the throttle position sensor, then perform a leakdown
> test (I am afraid of those results).  If the leakdown shows valve problems at
> least I will know what is going wrong.  Unfortunately with only 9500 miles the
> symptoms don't really indicate a valve problem, but we'll see.  If he does wind
> up having to tear the heads off it will be at least another week before he can
> get it back in working order.
>
> Monday I will call Jerry Parrish to see what Triumph will or can do to ease the
> pain of this situation.  The warranty does state that warranty work shall take
> less than 30 days.  I believe that probably does not include diagnostic work.
> (which the dealers don't neccessarily get reimbursed for. (My mechanic is
> getting really screwed on this particular situation)
>
> FYI Wisconsin lemon law applies to motorcycles but only in the first year of
> ownership (same for all other vehicles).  If in the first year of ownership
> your vehicle is in for the same problem four times without being fixed, you get
> a new vehicle, no questions asked.  If the vehicle is in for repair of any one
> problem for more than 30 days...you get a new vehicle, no questions asked.
> Unfortunately I am in the second year of ownership.
>
> I should know tommorow, the results of the leakdown test and the throttle
> position sensor replacement therapy.
>
> Until then : (
>
> ST(less)eve Bergman
>
> 00 Sprint ST