Re: [ST] RE: (ST) RE: (ST) New Daytona (And superbike review spoilers

> > The VFR?  The VFR's mill is anemic compared to the 955i.  I
> > can't vouch for
> > the ST, but my RS can carve better than O.J. in a pair of
> > Bruno Magli shoes
> > -- a VFR has no chance unless the rider is considerably better.
>
>True the 955 motor is stronger than the VFRs unit which makes it easier to
>make
>good progress, but the superior suspension of the VFR means you can push it
>much
>harder in the tight twisty stuff that would have the ST scraping it's belly
>pan
>and the front end tied up in knots.

I've ridden with Rick Damiani from this list, who has an ST, and I can
assure you that he squeezes that bike through turns tighter than a
frightened virgin. He isn't scraping stuff or having any problem smoking
sportbikes and I've never noticed his forks in knots either.

Now, that is not to say that the forks don't suffer from being "plush" but
they certainly don't twist -- otherwise people wouldn't be putting emulators
and springs in them -- they'd just be scrapping them and using GSXR forks.

>The RS is a different machine to the ST and obviously it won't have the
>same
>ground clearance restrictions the ST suffers from, however the comment was
>made
>in the context of a sports tourer test.

This ground clearance issue perplexes me.  I ride at a pretty spirited pace
on a variety of tight and twisty road conditions.  I have ridden in the
French Alps, the San Gabriel Mountains, Malibu canyons, Mt. St. Helens,
etc., and I have yet to touch anything down my RS or the following bikes:
Thunderbird(1), SV650, Fazer 600, TDM 850, VFR, BMW R1100GS and I never
scraped anything.  I have touched down on a Harley Fatboy and a Vulcan 1500,
though.

I think that if you are touching stuff down, you need to re-think how you
ride.  A quick turn-in means that you don't have to lean the bike over so
far. On the track is a different story, given the extreme speed, but on the
street I see know need to be touching things down unless you are on a
cruiser.

>--
Peckham

(1) I have scraped my boots though.