[ST] Re:Re:Re

     I've been monitoring the ongoing discussions about the Motorcyclist
article. I haven't read it yet as my issue has not yet arrived (It's always
late. I sort of wonder if the postman reads it first sometimes) but I must
say that it rather disappoints me to hear about injection and gearbox woes,
because my '99 ST is a perfect example that Triumph *can* get it right. I
have 11,000 miles on it now and my fuel system works seamlessly with no flat
spots or irregularities and has never shown any quirks or problems other
than a throttle position sensor that went out of spec and required
adjustment, which caused an idle irregularity. And the triple puts out
enough power for about any street use, not to mention that beautiful snarl!
(Triumph sport can and K&N with appropriate tune and 18/43 sprockets)
     The gearbox was one of the finest shifting that I've ever ridden right
from the showroom floor. (And yes, I've ridden a large number of Hondas. In
fact, my '83 Honda 1100F had a sorry excuse for a gearbox. And frame!) The
ST shifts like butter with no stiffness or false neutrals. It just snicks
into gear every time. It impressed me favorably within a few blocks of the
dealer. Perhaps I just got lucky and got a unit that is *right*, but my ST
has been a smooth reliable performer in all ways from day one.
     I have to agree with Peckham and the ground clearance. I've only
scraped the bike once (my foot is another matter) and that was at Deal's Gap
with a full load of gear chasing a 916 through the Dragon. (And keeping up
fairly well under the circumstances) I regularly ride with a Duc 900SP, a
929RR and CBR600F3 and the ST can hold it's own in the twisties in that
company with riders of similar ability and experience. (+/- 25 years and
Code School once together) Well, actually we can all kick the F3's butt, but
he's getting better. ;-) I've redone the forks with RaceTech parts but am
running the stock shock with Pirelli Dragon Super Corsa's. (I highly
recommend the tires, FWIW)
     My rev limiter kicks in at precisely 10,500 rpm and I still bounce off
it distressingly often. (OK,OK, I enjoy brisk acceleration) The 955 is about
the most difficult of the 6 bikes that I've owned for me to judge redline by
ear or feel. It's still pulling strong and it doesn't really sound wound
that tight at redline. It's probably a good thing that the limiter is there
or I'd no doubt have engine parts scattered about by now. ;-)
     Enough of my ramblings. Count me in among those that would tolerate a
few quirks for a bike with character, if not the technical competence of
some other offerings. It's called class. And I *love* my ST!

Scott Summerhays
Louisville, Kentucky, USA