RE: [ST] short term storage

Barry

> I will not ride my bike for 6 weeks due to travel. How should I
> prepare/store the bike? If necessary I could get my
> house-sitter to start
> and run the bike in the garage, but not ride as he not
> licenced/insured. Or
> is it best just to leave it?

Last winter when I put my Daytona to 'bed' in a warm, dry garage I did the
following:

- - Changed the oil (not necessary in your case for just 6 weeks)
- - Cleaned, dried and polished the bike (you can probably skip the polishing)
- - Lubricated chain and other bits that needed it
- - Parked with correct tyre pressures but with tyres on a couple of bits of
wood
- - Disconnected and removed battery

With regards to fuel I left the tank almost full and didn't have access to
any fuel stabilizer.  Given the fact that the Triumph tanks are plastic you
don't need to worry about condensation rusting the tank.  The best advice is
probably to leave the tank as close to empty as possible.

When spring finally arrived I dropped the battery back in, checked the tyre
pressures and hit the starter.  The bike started immediately and ran fine
(no manky petrol or anything).

In your case because you're just leaving it for 6 weeks all you really need
to do is make sure it's clean and dry and disconnect the battery.  Don't be
tempted to start the thing up and just let it run for 5 minutes or whatever.
The engine will never really warm up properly and you'll just get
condensation in the engine which will inevitably lead to rust.

HTH

Andy