[ST] Re: Paint, Western Rallye, Ken's interesting comments...

"I've taken the positionthat on what are essentially one-and-a-half lane
roads (like the one wewere riding), that I want to be riding around
blind corners along the righthand edge of the road, and adjust my speed
appropriately (i.e. slow theheck down)."

I follow your logic but Ithink it's flawed. Going around a right hander
on the right side of the road allows you the least  view of the road
ahead and requires the tightest turning radius/greatest lean angle. It
doesn't matter how slow you're going, if you come around only to realize
it's a decreasing radius with any kind of surface problems (sand,ice,
parked car) you're screwed.

Took Freddie Spencer's High Performance school last year and for the
most part it was just a different slant on the same stuff (don't mention
counter-steering!) as CSS. The most notable exception was Freddies
emphasis on trail braking. The point being why do you want to commit to
a corner speed before you can see the exit. From what I understand from
your explanation of the accident, trail braking or at least covering the
brake with two fingers might possibly have made the difference. Another
Freddie drill was softly sqeezing the brake to load the front suspension
before applying full braking force. It's a valuable lesson to learn as
the bike is infinetly more controllable.

I wish for a speedy recovery for both of you, as well as all the other
dawgs that have gone down lately. For me, low siding and breaking my arm
last year was a great impetus for learning. While I had already
scheduled the schools, it really made me pay attention, I believe it
also helped with the trepidation about riding in general. All in all,
the crash and the schools have made me a 5x better rider.

I hope we all stop falling Down!
David
'99ST