[ST] RE: Actual Value of a Sprint ST

Clement Canino Sez:
 "went from being a $10,700 value to being worth about $6000. Not a really
good value if you ask me. In 22 years of riding and 9 different
motorcycles, this is the first bike that I have EVER lost so much money
on in so short a time. And it's still not sold."

Clement - buy hi, sell lo is what I always say! For starters, the 2001's are
on the street and the 2002's are in the press already (like the new
Daytona). So, you have a bike that is 3 years old, and soon to be 4 years
old. If you appear desperate or too willing to sell, it will exacerbate your
weakened bargaining position. So, this is not an investment. It is commodity
that you enjoy. Your option would be to consign the bike for a reasonable
price, some where between Blue book values of $8300 retail and $6000
wholesale. I would price it at $7,900 and be patient. If you have
accessories, sell them through this medium - the ST list - as they do not
seem to add to the sales price. As a reference point, I bought a left over
98 Thunderbird Sport in 99 for $7,000. The bike was priced at $8,900 MSRP
new, so this was a truly good value. I put 11,000 miles on the bike in 18
months and got $5,000 on a trade in on a 99 ST with 1,500 miles on it last
year for $10,500 with all the bags - out the door. It was 1 year old at the
time and my option then was full-knock for the base price + dealer set up +
another $1,200 for the bags. (BTW, it had the silver 2001 wheels on it! MUCH
better!). I saved out-of pocket about $3K by not going the new route, but
I'll be taking a hit on 'value' down the line. Focus on working your deal
for a new bike if you are trading it in. Take the $6K on the trade, but make
sure you get the new one for under $10K - it is all relevant. The figures to
watch are the differential. I would consign the bike. When it sells, work on
the MSRP to get price you want. If it is later in the season, your leverage
will improve.

Bill Findiesen
99 Jet Black ST (with the cool silver wheels)