[ST] Re: cornering lines

Just to pick up the discussion (and to note that I'm v. interested in
people's takes on this)...

I _absolutely_ subscribe to the Keith Code (enter outside/late apex) school
of picking lines through corners on the street (it seems to present
problems on the track, but that's another story). What varies is the
"width" of the lane I allow myself to move from the outside to the inside
of.

As an example, I'll typically take a space about 18 - 24" on my side of the
center stripe and set that as my true apex. So on a lefthander, I'll go
from the righthand edge (remember, I'm in the US) on corner entry ...
picking my turn-in point as somewhere near the right edge of my lane ... to
the edge of my "allowable space" as I apex the corner.

The issue at hand comes up when on a two-way one-lane road (actually a
one-and-one-half lane road, typically); essentially there are three

1) use the whole road, and on a (typically blind) righthander, go from the
left edge of the pavement on entry to an apex near the right edge. This
gives far and away the best sightlines, opens one's lines, etc.

2) use about one half of the road, and paint an imaginary centerline down
the middle, and treat it like a normal two-lane road. Worse sightlines,
tighter lines.

3) use about one third to one quarter of the road along the rightmost edge.
Worst sightlines, tightest lines.

If the road was a one-way road, I'd choose #1 without hesitation. The issue
is my evaluation that the most significant risk in the situation (odds x
severity) is an oncoming vehicle, and the probability that the oncoming
vehicle will not be in their "proper" place along the opposite edge, but
somewhere closer to the middle.  In that case, positioning myself on the
left side of the road, or even in the center of the road makes it more
likely that we'll have a head-on, since a) the driver may move to their
left to avoid what seems to be a vehicle on the wrong side of the road; b)
even if they don't, I now need to dramatically tighten my line and cross in
front on an oncoming vehicle. All of which seem like bad options.

Admittedly, I make it a little more risky in terms of gravel, obstacles,
etc., but my response is simply to slow down enough to be comfortable.

Thoughts??

MarcD