Re: [ST] Clutch Cable breaking where

I'm curious about where they are breaking/seperating as well.  I took my
clutch lever assemebly apart this afternoon and noticed two or three things
that might be contributing to a breaking problem.

On my ST:
First, the tap for the cable adjuster in the mounting bracket does not
appear to be drilled parallel to the cable entry slot in the clutch lever.
This causes the cable to drag over the lower edge of the clutch lever entry
slot at about a 5 degree angle when the clutch lever is pulled.  The casting
on this lower edge is very sharp and would inevitably cut the cable if it
didn't wear down first.  It's an easy fix with a small file and a bit of
emery cloth. I think just reshaping and rounding off this edge might
preclude further problems.

Second,  The small gray metal barrel which the cable itself is soldered to,
is sleeved with a harder metal which slides in a hole at the end of the
cable slot to hold the cable in place.  This harder metal sleeve is crimped
over the gray metal barrel.  It is impossible to assertain the condition of
the solder joint without destroying the crimped sleeve. However I did find
that the crimped sleeve was poorly crimped and had sharp edges protruding
from the crimped end which were digging into the clutch lever casting. This
kept the barrel assembly from rotating in the lever the way it is supposed
to when the clutch lever is pulled.  This causes the cable to "bend" rather
than rotate in the barrel seat as it is supposed to do.  This can also be
dressed down with a file and emery cloth but is a bit more of a challenge.
I'm not sure I got this one right yet.

Finally, The whole assembly was rather poorly lubricated with piss thin oil.
Try a little white grease just on the lever assembly.

Has anyone else discovered this? Or have comment on a better fix?

Thanks for any input./////Jim
P.S. I ordered a spare cable anyway. My dealer said $36