Re: [ST] New ST, & some ?'s

Previously, you (Bob Nixon) wrote:
> Being an old canyon scratcher, I'll have to admit I was a bit apprehensive
> of the Sprints handling capabilities but a ride out to my regular twistie
> haunt (AZ 88) put my fears to rest. The Sprint handles like a dream. I was
> really impressed that the additional 100 lbs was hardly noticed. I had the
> BT57's (both front & rear) scrubbed to 1/8" from the edge, on my first go
> around.

Make sure your front preload is setup properly for your mass (and riding
style) and do your best to quickly wear out the OEM BridgeRocks.  Then
switch to better tyres (I favor Pirelli Dragon GTS but others like
Dunlop 205 rear and 207 front) and you'll be even happier!

> 1) Where's the helmet hook?

You are expected to buy some hard luggage to lock your helmet into.  No,
I'm not joking (much).

> 2) The Sprint seems to get excellent mileage but can I use regular? The
> Triumph web site says RON 95 but this means nothing to a yank.IOW, is RON
> 95=87US

Mid-grade or better.  On regular it can knock (pre-detonate).  Happened
to me until I figured out the translation to US.

> 3) The neutral; even after clutch cable adjustment, is still a bit of a pain
> to find.

You're still on the running in oil.  After your first oil change it'll
be better.  Also work that shifter.  Many people (myself included) get
lazy because of all that torque low down and get in the habit of short
shifting out of 1st.

Best way to break in the low gears I found was to regularly run 1st gear
right to breakin limit or above 7500 before shifting.  I did this for a
week of commuting to the office through city traffic and at by the 3rd
or 4th day it was shifting like butter.  And magically neutral appeared!

> 4) Break in. I'm pushing 300 miles now. 6K RPM should now be OK?

My book is at home, so I'm not sure.

> 5) Love the lumpy torque but desire a pipe to bring out the triple's lovely
> growl. Again suggestions? I've had good luck with 2-bros and they make a
> nice high mount carbon fiber slip on for the Sprint ST.

Some like the Triumph "off road" (aka race) can.  I spent a few days
chasing Eric Miner around the Blue Ridge Parkway at last years Rallye
listening to his, esp. going through tunnels.  Sweet! Others favor
aftermarket suppliers.  I've still got the stock can for now.  Someday

Enjoy your bike.  Whether it is stock, heavily modified, ridden hard and
fast or gently and leisurly it is a sweet ride!

- --
Bill "Bench Dawg" Flowers
Clearwater FL
'00 Sapphire Blue ST "Jewel"