[ST] Traveling: Need advice

I have never toured by motorcycle, even since I purchased my 00' ST last
summer.  I have planned a two week solo trip beginning August 4th and had
planned on spending my time in the Black Hills and Rockies.  Starting in the
North and working my way South towards Durango or Utah.  I am also not
making any hotel reservations.  I plan on camping wherever I can find a spot
(hopefully in the mountains where there is a view).

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start, where to visit, what
roads, camping etc.???  Any events going on in that area?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

H. Rollins  00' ST