[ST] RE: Another Booh Update (very long)

Patti,
All things technical can be solved. Lemon laws are most likely invoked due
to the ineptitude of a dealer to have the technical savvy to solve the
problem, however, there are bad days at the factory. My back ground is
aircraft maintenance and engineering, but I firmly that all things made by
man have common solutions and so trouble shooting approaches can be applied
across the board.
1. Electrical problems may be a bit more difficult than a leak to some, but
not to 'sparkies'. You have provided enough information for someone to pour
over the schematics and isolate the most likely causes. It appears the
dealership has simply not focused on the problem adequately to get their
heads into the problem OR they simply do not have the technical savvy.
2. I hold an FAA Airframe and Powerplant license to work on aircraft in
addition to Air Force experience and I would LOVE to have taken an aircraft
up on a flight to duplicate the problem! Taking the bike out to ride to
duplicate is pure bullshit. So I can only assume they do not have the
technical savvy to fix the problem.
3. I seriously doubt if they 're-wired' the bike. Most likely they replaced
a wire harness segment. They should probably give up and replace the whole
harness. However, the problem could very well be something like the key
switch or one of the handle bar switches. (I have not had time to check my
service manual to see what it could be - any ideas out there?).
4. The dealership should have contacted Triumph or other dealers (like
Mickey at Orange County Triumph) to see if anyone has encountered the
problem and what the solution was.

Bottom line - I think the dealership is suspect in their technical
competence and their commitment to resolving the problem. I think you have
been BS'd long enough. Give them 1 week to fix it and then invoke the lemon
law (as much as I hate to recommend it).  I could go into how you find these
kinds of problems in aircraft, but I would not want to bore the list. I also
expect many on the list have real 'domain expertise' on Triumphs in general
and ST's in specific.

Hope this helps. E-mail me off line if you want to discuss further.
Bill Findiesen