[ST] brake lessons

Two things I learned today getting the bike ready for the trip to Colorado:

>>1. You can remove the rear brake caliper without removing the rear wheel.
However, the luggage bracket makes it a lot harder to get to the necessary
bolts.

And watch out for the chain guard! It will break at the front inside mount
point if you bend it. If you have never removed the rear wheel but wish to,
it is a b****h to get the axle nut off. Get someone with airtools to take it
off the 1st time. Thereafter you can use a breaker bar. Be careful forcing
the pistons back into the caliper body. Do not gouge them with a screwdriver
or the like.

>>2. You can't check the brake pad wear without removing the caliper. After
going through all of the work to remove the calipers, I saw that there was
a lot more pad left than I thought. Looking at the caliper from the rear
while it is mounted is very deceptive.

You can check the pads with an inspection mirror (looks like a big dental
mirror) and a flashlight if you take your time. Inside wears slightly
faster, piston side slower. To be on the safe side (and to have every tool
you will need), replace them before long trips if they have been on for a
few thousand miles (my originals evaporated in 5K). Pads are around $35.
Rotors are $135! While you are at it, check your tires. Long trips are nicer
on new ones.

Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------