Oil

Just after I had purchased my bike in Feb 99 I learned that me dealer had
filled it with Mobil 1 5w-30. I had already put on 700 km at that point and
went back to the dealer to advise them of their mistake. They then changed
the oil to Mobil 1 15w-50 and assured me that this was an acceptable oil. I
was still not convinced so I called the Triumph factory and told a tech my
story. He instructed me to immediately take out the 15w-50 because it was SJ
rated and not SH as Triumph recommends. Apparently the SJ rated oils contain
those nasty friction modifiers that gearboxes hate. I now run Motul 300V
100% synthetic oil that is SH rated. At $19.00 CAN a litre it makes for a
very expensive oil change.
P.S. Mitch, good luck trying to get the Mobil 4T. I tried several times.
Mobil will not import it into Canada.

Frank Roscioli
Operations Supervisor
Calgary Transit - Land Use and Mobility