[ST] RE: st-digest V2001 #346

RE: ] luggage'less in Dallas

I too was to take possession of a 2001 BRG ST. The dealer wanted me to take
it stating that the panniers (hard luggage) would arrive "in a few days".
I refused to take possession without the bags.
It turned out that the bags are on back order in England, with no known date
for stocking. It would then be a matter of Triumph shipping to Georgia, and
from there shipping to us here in Canada. Ridiculous!! I would get the bags
in the fall.
I was unwilling to take the bike without the bags (the "T" stands for
touring!!).
The dealer ended up selling me a 2000 with the bags and 6,000 kilometers on
it.
I believe that Triumph has really screwed up on this one. Their forecasting
of the demand sucks. They should assume that in their lineup, that most
buyers of a "sport touring" bike will want the bags. Also they should have
let the dealers know what the situation really is, so that the dealers will
not look like asses to the customers.

My two cents!!

Nathan Jacobson

2000 Triumph ST
2000 H-D Deuce (overseas)
1998 H-D Road King
1943 Indian 741 Scout
1943 Harley WLC
1974 Jag E-Type roadster
2000 Jag Supercharged VDP
and other less interesting forms of transport