From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Keith
Tynan
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 3:41 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ST] Belt Drive for T5

Hi,

Forgive me if I've missed something in the euphoria surrounding the belt
drive for the strumpet (http://www.t5net.de/t5-riemenantrieb.htm), but I was
always of the impression that a toothed belt had to be tensioned. This
article shows no evidence of such a mechanism, and leads me to be
suspicious.

Earlier attempts have been made to marry belt drive with a single-sided
swinging arm for sportsbikes (see following upload (sorry it's 200KB) from
an article in the German "MO Magazin" from 1994, detailing the patent
awarded to the North German firm VH (Klaus Vosteen & Hans G. Helms), which
was tested for 30,000 km on a Yamaha FZR1000 by the Technishe Hochschule
Hamburg - 90h@200kph, 40h@150kph, 30h@full accel in first gear, 11h@full
throttle.) In essence, this had a lever to rotate the axle eccentric, and
hence adjust belt tension as the suspension moved.

I noticed from the current VH website (http://www.vh-motorradtechnik.de/ -
again in German - so reach for your Babelfish) that they seem to have kept
the idea of belt drive, but focussed more on a custom frame/swinging arm
which locates the swinging arm pivot on the same axis as the countershaft
sprocket. The site seems reasonably informative regarding their research
vehicle, but gives little away (in words or pictures) regarding belt
fitments to stock bikes - though the tensioner is still evident.

Anyone know anything more??

Regards,
- --
BRG