Re: [ST] What should I test ride?

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, STeve Duncan wrote:

> My "fix" has been borrowing a Speed Triple from the shop.  Man, what a hoot!
>   Those things feel alot faster, even though it's the same engine.  I think

That reminds me of a little test ride I took when I was picking up
my bike in FL. Took Bill's/Wilma's nighthawk 650 out.

So there I was riding around, thought I would see what it could
do. So I wind it up, 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear 4th even. First
though, wow at 6000 rpm it sounds like the bike is strangling a
chicken to death, second thought, better slow it down, I'm in a 45
zone. So I look down and read the speedometer, 50 mph, um er what.

Only 50, I wnet through like 4 gears, the thing felt like it was
flying.

Although the best was when I took an Aprilla 50cc sport bike out
for a test ride.  0-60 -> sundial says 30 seconds.

Seriously if you have the opportunity to take one of these around
the block do it. There are very few streets where you will be able
to break the speed limit. Just something extremely amusing about
have a bike full throttle, speed shifting, and have it power limited
to about 60 mph. Of course I weight somewhere between 225 and 280,
so I am sure some of the lighter listeners might get to 65 mph :-)

Tom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664