[ST] Do fuel senders improve with age?

Hi all;

My ST is 18 months old now, and it suffered from the notorious inaccurate
fuel-sender syndrome from the start.  From a full tank, the gauge would stay
at the full mark or close to it for the first 70 - 80 miles, and then drop
like a rock to near empty.  The low fuel light would come on at 110 - 120
miles.  I've been putting off getting it replaced because of all the leak
problems reports, and well  because I'm too d*mn lazy to schedule it at the
dealer.

But for the last 4 or 5 tankfuls, the gauge has been working just fine.
Right now, I've got  about 100 miles since the last fill up, and the gauge
is on the half full mark.  And the low fuel light has been coming on at
between 160 and 170 miles.  As I'm getting 41-42mpg commuting, that seems
about right to me. Hey, it's not perfect, but its a hell of lot better than
it was.  If it keeps behaving like this, I probably won't bother getting it
replaced at all.

Wondering if anyone else has had similar experience......

Mort Harries
Haworth NJ
'00 ST