[ST] Rallye: Friday, June 15

June 15, Friday: We held registration and the riders meeting for the
first annual Triumph Sports Riders Association western Rallye this
morning. More riders had came in late last night and two riders pulled
up who had spent the night about forty miles down the road in Ouray last
night. We tried to give as much information as needed without boring
anybody. Greg discussed the general rules, Lisa covered the legal, and I
covered the riding procedures along with displaying the check to refund
the entry fee if caught riding dangerously. We stated that small groups
worked best and everybody picked their riding group based on friendship
and ability. I was with David, Dan, and Ruth from New Mexico. We headed
east out of town on highway 55 with high speeds and great sweeping turns
climbing with an occasional downhill section. Oops, cops! They had a
truck and pickup with horse trailer pulled over. Maybe we got lucky? At
Cimarron we wanted to see the train exhibit but when stopped in road
construction missed it. It was hidden. Actually, it was right beside us
where we stopped! I found that Richard had asked the road crew where it
was about ten minutes later and they told him they didn't think it was
still around. Hey, their from Colorado and didn't even know they were
standing in front of it. We continued on to Sapinero and stopped on the
Blue Mesa dam for some sight seeing. What a view with deep blue waters
flanked by tall canyon walls and high mountains reflecting off the
water. We then saddled up and headed north on highway 92 and climbed
into the mountains. We stopped at a rest stop and fed the chipmunks and
then climbed some more. Again, great views of the canyon with the river
and more lakes far below. The road was a little pot holed but I like the
way the bike rumbled and shook as it took on every irregularity in
stride. We came down off the mountain into a low triangular area and
headed on toward Crawford. Right before Crawford there was a large rock
up cropping off the road that resembled the Devil's Tower. At Crawford
we ate lunch at Joe and Pam Cocker's Mad Dog Fountain Café 970-921-4855.
Good food and very bike friendly. I walked up to the store and received
my free bandanna and signed up for the newsletter. We then headed
further north on highway 92 and turned north on highway 65 to
Ceadaredge. At this point Lisa and Ruth went straight to Delta and the
highway back to Montrose. After Cedaredge we started climbing again
headed up the Grad Mesa. We came upon the California Cartel before the
climb and started passing them as they were riding so slow. I had many
thoughts going through my mind about the riders meeting, this is not a
race, no tickets, ride safe, etc. how would it look if the referee
passed them as they were going the speed limit? I didn't have to worry
because as I looked off and then back at the road they had all
disappeared! 65 was a great road, freshly paved, smooth, nice turns, and
great views. Just beautiful up here and again as we headed down the
Grand Mesa. I caught back up with the group after taking more pictures
at Mesa for a gas stop. The group then split up. David and Richard went
to the Colorado National Monument, the California Cartel was discussing
which way to go, and I headed off backtracking 65 and 92. We all arrived
back safely and then heard Dirty Dawg's horror story of bike problems
again. Several of us walked across the street to a Golden Corral and
then relaxed and swapped bike stories. One of the good stories was from
Jim Schroder from California who had a hawk attack his bike at speed.
The hawk hit the mirror and snapped it off at the stalk! John "Apex
Dawg" walked out as he had just arrived at the Rallye from Alabama.