[ST] Rallye, Saturday, June 16

June 16, Saturday: All we had to do at this morning's meeting was hand
out route maps ands wish everyone a safe trip. We headed out of town
south on highway 550 to Ridgeway. At Ridgeway we turned west on highway
62 to Placerville. We then met the infamous cloud of flies and bees! I
had just cleaned my shield and now a machine gun swarm of flies for
several miles :-)  We then headed northwest on highway 145 to Naturita.
At Naturita we again took on gas. I offered to pay for Greg's gas as the
bikes only held about three dollars of fuel and it was quicker and
besides, that's what bikers do. When in the store I was told that my gas
had already been paid for! I don't remember his name but know the face
and thanks. I hope we always take care of each other. Now it was a new
car we'd talk awhile but gas in a ST! Thanks again Triumph Sports Riders
Association buddies. I'll repay you somehow, sometime. Highway 141 was
great. Desolate with sweeping turns in a great canyon all the way to
Grad Junction. Several more stops for pictures resulted in my losing the
group but who cares. We join back up at stops anyway. The last part of
this section of road provided several moving obstacles. A bicycle race!
I couldn't even push the start button without being out of breath and
there nuts are racing bicycles! At least they were all female:-) I also
observed a helicopter setting telephone poles as that was the only way
to get them up on the ridge. As I pulled up to highway 550 on the
outskirts on Grand Junction Dirty Dawg was giving direction to the
Triumph dealer. I rode up to the dealership as Apex Dawg was looking at
his rear tire. John still had many Rallye miles to go plus the return to
Alabama. The dealer made him a great "mail order" price and install
charge. John left his bike and the dealer placed dealer tags on a new RS
for him to ride to lunch as they fixed his bike. The dealer then rode a
new Pink Speed Triple and led us to lunch. Some of us then rode out 70
east and 330 through great canyons to Mesa. 330 had several curves that
were under very large domes in the canyon walls. Once at Mesa we then
rode 65 south over the Grand Mesa and returned to Montrose. Nancy
representing Jolly's treated the Triumph Sports Riders Association to a
great-catered dinner. good food and plenty of it. A couple on a Tiger
who found out about the Rallye that day and rode down to join us for
dinner surprised us. Richard and I explained that it was catered and set
for a pre determined number but they were welcomed to join us. If we got
all the registered riders feed there might be something left. They
joined in and after the California Cartel were fed they also joined in.
we sold tickets for the 50/50 raffle and took in about $123.00. Lisa won
the raffle and tried to decline but we had already decided that if an
officer won it should be theirs. We gave away door prizes including
coozies, model Triumphs, last year's T-shirts, a one off west T-shirt,
and bug cleaner. We received input from the attendees about next year's
location and date before electing Blake as the new Triumph Sports Riders
Association Vice president. It was time for my term to be over and
spread the responsibilities a little more over the country. One of the
problems with a country as large as this is location because of the
distances required traveling. Good luck to Blake and I feel that all is
well with the stewardship in place. I was surprised with a nice picture
award as the outgoing VP and really appreciate it. Thanks gang.