Speedo ...... was Re: [ST] Chains...

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ozzard-Low, Alex" <Alex.Ozzard-Low@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> PS  For those checking speedo against GPS - I was wondering if you have
had
> the same experience as me: the speedo reads about 6-8% high, but the
> odometer is very accurate.

I think it common knowledge is that Triumph, like virtually all
manufacturers, uses optimistic speedos for safety reasons, in an attempt to
slow us down a bit.

The ST's speedo is analog but the odometer is digital which suggests to me
that they operate independantly, so it's not hard to believe that one could
be accurate and the other not so accurate.  I also believe that the actual %
speed error depends on what speed you are using as a reference.  I could be
wrong, but I think the way they alter the readings is by rotating the face
of the speedo rather than changing any internal gearing in the unit.  If you
think about it, this will result in a fixed amount of error at ANY speed
rather than a % error.

I assume that the RS (whose speedo and odometer are both digital) is
similarly optimistic in the speed department.  However it would be more
likely that the speedo readings would be off by a fixed percentage.

A while back someone mentioned that they thought the speedo unit was sealed,
and if that is true, the only way to recalibrate would be to compensate
externally.   If you did this your odometer would slow down.  This is fine
for improving re-sale value, but not so good for keeping track of service
intervals, etc.

Neil