Re: [ST] too much oil.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, STeve Duncan wrote:

> Prime Law of Motorcycling: The longer the trip planned the more obstacles
> that will be encountered before departure.
>
> Corollary:  The more problems resolved before departure, the fewer
> encountered during the trip.
>
> And you should be OK loosening the drain plug and draining a little oil.
> Or, you could get a turkey baster and suck it out thru the fill plug.  8-)

Well took the bike to Eurosport this AM, primary reason was to
return a flash light that I accidentally took on Saturday. Of course
it is in my tank bag, which I no longer need for city trips, doh.
Figured this one out with about 2 miles of a 40 mile trip left! So
I bought a new one a K-mart.

Anyway, they where nice enough to check out the chain tension for
me, still okay, bit loose for my tastes, but Randy is by far more
knoledgable than I.

As well they used a vacuum pump to remove some of the oil. And in
due course had a blowout as the resivoir became overfull. Yes there
was that much extra oil in there. About 1/2 -2/3 of a litre too
much.

Scarily, the bike rides much better, less vibration, much quicker
to rev and more power to the rear wheel (according to the butt'O-meter
that is). Who ever says windage does not rob power, come and see
me.

Anyway, all I ahve to do is buy a small bag for my suplimental tool
bag, pack some underwear and aim my lights. BTW, I was playing with
the front light last night and a 8mm closed end wrench was much
better for aiming the head lights.

Tom