From: brd [mailto:brd@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 11:32 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] dairyland bait&switch?

Before I got my bike, I got a quote for $420 from Dairyland Ins.  Then
I got the bike, went to a local agent, signed up, paid the $420 for the
full year.  (This was over 6 weeks ago, and I still haven't received
my paperwork and proof of insurance, but that's another story.)  Then
monday I get a bill from dairyland for another $160.  I call and they
said, oh the type of bike we quoted you on was diff from the type (or
category or whatever rating scheme the insurance industry uses) for the
VIN of your bike, which is actually a higher rate.  How difficult can it
be to look up "Triumph Sprint ST" and see what category it falls in?

Besides that, when I got the quote, I didn't even own the bike, so how
could I give them a vin?  One of the reasons I decided to get a sprint
was because of this quote they gave me. (yes, I know $580 is still lower
than coverage for most other bikes out there)

The rep even said, "in some states, we're required to honor quotes, but
texas is not one of them," so it sounded like she was familiar with this
scenario.

I'm pretty steamed, since this is over a 1/3 "hike" in rates, but I
guess there's nothing I can do about it.  I'm not likely to find another
company with lower or comparable rates that I can switch to, unless
anyone has suggestions?

I'm tempted to call and get a quote from them with a different vin,
maybe change the last digit on mine, just to see if they quote me the
$420 or $580.  Also, I might write the BBB just for good measure.

I don't have any real questions, other than has anyone else had
dairyland do this to them with their ST (or other bike)?

Laters,
Brian

*