Re: [ST] dairyland bait&switch?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:35:15PM -0500, brd wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:07:36PM -0400, Andrew Bell wrote:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> > Give Universal Underwriters a call,1-800-238-2446. Or find a local
> > rep.  That is far too much for insurance.
> >

> > At 11:32 AM 6/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >Before I got my bike, I got a quote for $420 from Dairyland Ins.
> > >Then
>
> Wow, I just got off the phone with Universal Underwriters (though now
> they're known as Recreational Products Ins and will soon be Foremost
> Farmers Ins).
>
> For full coverage (liab, collision, comprehensive, uninsured
> motorists, yada yada yada) they quoted me $408, which includes a 20%
> discount for transferring from dairyland and %10 discount for being an
> experienced rider.  Plus, after 1 year accident-free, you're eligible
> for another %30 discount for being a safe rider.
>
> I said, "Where do I sign up?" and the closest agent to me is DFW
> Honda, 1 mile from my house. :) Which is funny, b/c when I was
> shopping and looked at a VFR there, they quoted me insurance through
> dairyland, but apparently they are agents for all kinds of different
> companies.
>
> So, thanks Andrew.  I'm going over there right now and then will be
> promptly giving Dairyland the boot after that.

Blah.  I just got back from there and found out that the agent I spoke
with on the phone gave me an incorrect quote (again, what is it with
these companies?).  She quoted me a rate for the 28-3x age group, but
I'm only 27, so I fall into a more expensive age group.  I guess I've
learned, don't take anything the phone droids tell you at face value.

Still, the price is within $20 of dairyland, so I may switch anyway,
just out of spite, or something.

Oh, and I will make sure my bank knows I have new coverage before I drop
dairyland.  Thanks for that advice, Steve.

Laters,
Brian