RE: [ST] Garmin GPS eTrex Vista

In your message regarding RE: [ST] Garmin GPS eTrex Vista dated Thu, 28 Jun
2001 08:34:28 -0300, Brad Applegate said that ...

>BA-  Hi Cameron,
>BA-
>BA-    I've only had mine for about two weeks now and will put it through it's
>BA-  paces next week when I ride to Michigan.  I've played with it on the nice
>BA-  hour long commute for work to become familiar with it.
>BA-    The biggest gripe I have with Garmin is how expensive the mapping CD's
>BA-  are, $90 Road and Recreation.  If the software had a trip planning feature
>BA-  instead of just waypoints I wouldn't mind the price, but it doesn't.  If you
>BA-  can find both units at a store play with them both to see which would be
>BA-  better suited to what you want.

The best way around this I have found is using M$ Autoroute on my Notebook,
with the GPS plugged into the serial port and the Notebook strapped to the
tank.  You can then route plan with Autoroute and the get the car symbol of
the GPS position to follow the green line.  I really wish M$ would offer a
motorcycle symbol.  One downside is you can't send email via your mobile
phone with the GPS plugged in unless you have 2 serial ports which my
Notebook hasn't.  The other problem is waterproofing the Notebook.

>;-))))

- --
Mike Bostock
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx