Re: [ST] RE: New RS & No Wx to ride

In your message regarding [ST] RE: New RS & No Wx to ride dated Sat, 3 Mar
2001 15:12:46 -0800, Bill Findiesen said that ...

>BF-  "Didn't take long to realize I need the hugger and  Gen-Mars."
>BF-
>BF-  Jim,
>BF-  Sorry, but 200 miles is not soon enough to know if you need them or not.
>BF-  IMHO, you need to give at least 1,000 miles and some long rides to
>BF-  determine. UNLESS, you are vertically challenged and the reach is a bit too
>BF-  far. If you are like me, 6'1" or more, I feel like I am riding bolt upright
>BF-  on my ST and would consider lower bars. However, I am giving it a chance.

I think that the variety of opinion expressed re higher bars, higher
screens etc is related.  The ST is a new toy for me so I don't have the
depth of experience that some of you have.  However, since I am 6ft
swapped the stock screen for an MPS double bubble on the advice of this
list and because it looks good :-)

My own limited observation is that during protracted town (urban) riding
at 20-30 mph my wrist get tired and I think of GenMar risers but at 50-70
mph in windless conditions the position is ideal and the wind resistance
offered by my not inconsiderable un-aerodynamic x-section keeps me
perfectly balanced.  Above this speed or with a strong headwind I am
looking for lower bars or a taller screen as I rest my ample midriff on
the tank and tuck down behind the screen like the boy racer I am not :-)

I don't think there is an ideal solution which will cater for all
situations unless Triumph make bars that are adjustable at the touch of a
button and a screen the same.

As Bill, quite rightly says, do at least 1000 miles before you change
anything as you might find you have spent unwisely.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders