[ST] Re: front tyre removal

>From: Erik Miner
>Hey anyone try this on an ST!?  I just ordered a front >stand so I can
>do front wheel removal but if just removing the front >tire will make
>the bike settle back on it's rear tire that would be >even easier.

Erik,
On my ST there is still a lot of weight on the front tyre when using the centrestand.
Trying to lift the front off the ground is a real PITA. The first time I removed the front wheel I couldnt find any way to lift the front & support the weight of the bike. I removed the fairing lowers & bellypan to use a trolley jack under the motor but couldnt find anywhere to jack up under. The exhaust is not centered & there are oil lines in all other possible places. I ended up using an A-frame with a block & tackle around the upper triple clamp.
I had considered buying a race stand to lift the front, but couldnt see how the one stand would allow wheel removal as well as head bearing adjustment or replacement.
Afterwards the answer seemed so obvious & I now use a tie down from the rear grab rail to something fixed at ground level. If you push down on the rear of the bike so the rear tyre touches the ground & pull the tiedown tight, it keeps the front up high enough for any tasks.
Hope this helps someone.

Darren Mason.
2000 ST.
Melbourne, AuSTralia.