[ST] Re: RS tyre/chain feedback

> Barry did  you change the rear as well? Roger <

Not yet, but the shop has an AV36 in ready for me. My rear BT020 only has
3500 miles and plenty of tread on it, because I had to throw the first one
out after two punctures in 3000 miles (see the archives). In due course I'll
let you all know how long the rear lasts, and how the new one works.

> I also put on DID 530 ZVM, 108 links but with the rivet link I guess that
makes it 109?? I also run the 18/43 sprockets, (Afam rear and OEM front).
Erik <

It can't be 109, it has to be an even number! When they say 'links' what
they really mean is 'rollers'. Since the rollers must be added or removed in
pairs (one ending an inner plate, one ending an outer plate - you can't fit
an inner direct to another inner - if I'm not being very clear just take a
look!) you must always have an even number.

I could probably have left it at 108, but half of my chain adjustment would
have been lost straight away. With a new 106 there is only about 5mm of the
adjustment screw thread showing, so I now have the whole run of the
adjustment available.

I guess it's possible the rear sprocket wear is significant, and that a new
106 AND a new rear sprocket might turn out to be too tight a stretch, even
with the minimum chain adjustment set. So I'd recommend ordering a 108 and
only taking links out if you're certain the shorter 106 will still fit! With
an 18 front I'm pretty sure it will though. I did ask about a new sprocket,
to be told that the RS one is different from all earlier models and at
present there is no aftermarket rear sprocket available for the RS ... it's
the expensive Triumph one or nothing (so I'm still on the old one). Unless
someone on this list knows otherwise?

On other current RS issues:
- - Yes the RS rips! It dives rather too much and does sit up a bit if you
brake deep into bends (compared to say a CBR600), but for it's size and
weight it handles very confidently. I might fit Racetech or similar, but I
actually quite like the fork softness on some of the extremely bumpy roads I
frequent. I don't notice the rear at all, which I reckon means it's fine.
- - The centrestand seems very solid and stable to me.
- - I have now got over my initial desire to fit Genmars, and the discomfort
of the unfamiliar stretch to the bars has all but gone. I'm even thinking
about swapping back to the original bars (from ST bars) come the warmer
weather. This is partly due to better overall muscle tone from working out
daily since the New Year (as someone suggested, it works!), partly just due
to muscles and joints adapting to the new posture given enough time.
- - With the carbon can, retune and 18 tooth, I now have more power than I can
use, whatever the testers might say. So ....
- - I love the bike, more and more every day ;-)

Barry