Re: [ST] Dumb Front Fork question

Erik,

I've removed and reinstalled the front wheel on many bikes over the years
without any alignment problems.

When you reinstall the front axle and various spacers and washers, this will
automatically provide the correct rotational orientation and the correct
width to ensure the two forks remain parallel.

Just remember two things:   first, take careful note of the sequence of
spacers and washers as you disassemble the forks.  Reassembling these in the
incorrect sequence will obviously affect the front wheel positioning between
the forks.  I always make a little diagram before I start, in order to
ensure that I get it right.  A good indication that you got it right is
whether or not the two front brake rotors readily fit in between the brake
callipers and pads when you reassemble.  If the rotors aren't centred
between the brake callipers, then you've probably reinstalled the spacers in
the wrong sequence, causing the wheel to be off-centre between the forks.

The second important point is to use a torque wrench when you're tightening
down the axle nuts.  Too little torque, and you've got a safety concern;
too much torque, and you'll pull the fork tubes slightly out of line.

Aside from those two caveats, I wouldn't hesitate to perform this task on my
own.   I've done it many times on a variety of bikes, all without incident.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Paul H. Wilson
Toronto, Canada