[ST] Daytona!!!

Sun, sea, sand...and the snorting, grunting and roaring of thousands of
motorcycles as they cruise through town...so as new arrivals in the USA, the
Lovely Ballast and I just couldn't miss the chance to see a bit of Bike Week
action...and what better way to experience it than running down the middle
of Main Street with two hundred others from the Hash House Harriers, "a
drinking club with a running problem"?

For people used to bike silencers that meet European noise control laws,
it's quite an experience to be woken at 4am by a noise that sounds as if
either a large aircraft is trying to take off from the parking lot outside
the window, or else a herd of enormous pigs is snuffling and snorting round
the hotel room.  No wonder they call them Hogs.  The dress code is a bit
different too - not too many people wearing Goretex oversuits here - in fact
some of the ladies riding pillion appeared to be wearing little more than a
leather thong and a smile!  Didn't see too many Triumphs, although we kept
our eyes open for a certain Sprint ST with a Union Jack custom paint
job...so perhaps we'd better take a Triumph and fly the flag for them at
Bike Week next year.

We did pay a quick visit to the Triumph truck at the Speedway yesterday and
had a friendly welcome from Greg "Yankee Dawg", who was just setting up the
exhibits.  They had a blue new Daytona and a prototype Tiger in the van; it
was hard to get a good look at the front end of the Daytona but the side
view looks pretty good.  I'm baffled by what they've done to the Tiger - I
thought the new model was supposed to have the 955i engine, but the current
model engine casing looks identical to the ST/RS and the new model looks
totally different.  I'm looking forward to the chance to test ride one, it
sounds like they might be out in April or May.

Neil