Re: [ST] Dumb Front Fork question

Erik,

I've done exactly what you propose - I used a 2x8" plank - without incident
or mishap.  The only thing is, unless you have the strength of Hercules, you
will need a second person to help you get the bike up onto its centrestand.
I have my wife help by pulling back and up using the passenger grabrail
while I step down on the centrestand while pulling the bike back using the
much better handle that comes as part of the hard bag bracketry.  FYI, I've
never bothered with 'locking' the centrestand by using tie-down straps as
others have suggested.  In my experience, you'd have to give the bike a
pretty severe push forward to make it roll off the centrestand.  Certainly,
a simple bump or nudge wouldn't do it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

By the way, the Pit Bull stands are excellent - really robustly made.  I had
a pair for my beloved Ducatis, and the Pit Bull stands were much sturdier
than the factory Ducati stands, which flexed a lot because they were made of
smaller diameter tubing and had less bracing than the Pit Bull stands.

If you buy a front stand, I'd strongly recommend the model that lifts the
bike from the lower triple clamp, rather than the model that lifts the bike
from the bottom of the fork tubes.  With the later design, you can remove
the front wheel only, but cannot work on the fork tubes.  The triple clamp
model allows you to do both.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Paul H. Wilson  (we met last year at Americade - did you ever receive the
pics I mailed to you?)
Toronto,  Canada
'00 blue ST