Re: [ST] re: Katana

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Darren Mason wrote:

> >From: "Anderson, Neil G (CPR)"
> >That's not the only bike lurking under a pseudonym
> > in the US.  Ever since I joined this list,
> >I've been wondering what a Katana was - I saw it at >the weekend and realised I used to own one!
>
> Neil,
> What is sold as a Katana in the US is a GSX1100FJ, GSX750F or GSX600F elsewhere. The original Katana was a sports version of the GSX1100 & one of the (if not the)  fastest bikes in its day, so I consider it sacriledge to now see this name plastered on s
uch a mediocre barge.
> "Real" Katana's were sold in the US as well, but the first year with a 1000cc motor (1100 sleeved down) to align with the superbike capacity limit of the time. Later the US got the same 1100 cc version as everyone else.
> I've had a 1982 Katana 1100SZ for 12 years now. It started out as my road bike, but is now a proper dragbike & does 9.3 second 1/4 mile times (so far).

Yup, I can remember back at the end of high school drooling over
mo-cycle rags talking about the big Katana sport bike. Pictures of
guys hanging over the windscreen to keep the front end down on 0-60
sprints. ALA one of the first street bikes geared tall enough so
that 60 mph was reached in first gear.

Well hey, Suzuki is king of the hill again with the GSX1000r, I
wonder if they are going to have the same teathing problems as
Yamaha did/does with the R1 and R6

Thom

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>        http://get.qnx.com
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664