[ST] New Phillips Headlight Bulbs

I hate to open an old thread. (Yeah, right.) But here goes.

Based on the footwork of Erik (with a "K",) last week I ordered my
Philips Visionlight H4's from Fosmo and they actually arrived before
they showed up on my credit card! Today I installed them but I will not
be able to check them out until Wednesday or Thursday. So why I am I
posting today you may ask. I want to share with the listers how to
replace the lamps without removing the fairing

I attempted to install them without removing the fairing. Call it
laziness if you want but I just think that it is pretty silly to have to
remove bodywork in order to change a lamp. I started with the left lamp
as suggested by Eric (with a "C"). I was able to easily remove the
connector and the rubber boot but when it came to removing the spring
clip I was stumped. I had a better view of the right side so I decided
to attack that side instead.

The spring clip still had me stuck. I removed the right fairing and I
was still having problems. After some prodding and poking I was finally
able to release the spring clip. I will sell the secret to you for USD100.

JUST KIDDING!

If you look at the picture in the owner's manual on headlight
replacement it shows you where the spring clip is. In order to release
the spring clip press forward on the right end of the clip then slide it
up and SPROING it's released! I was able to then attack the left side
with the fairing on without any problems.

Another tip: put your bike on its center stand so that you may easily
pivot the forks to either side.

Removing the right fairing was not a complete waste of time. I was able
to remove a large quantity of road kack from the inside. (I see a front
fender extension in my future.) And since I had my kiester parked on the
garage floor I was able to check my brake pads. Reason #492 for not
using your rear brakes: it's a freakin' pain in the arse to inspect the
rears. Now I enjoy checking out rears as much as the next guy or gal but
the engineer (for lack of a better term) who designed the rear brakes
for the ST should be keel-hauled.

Coming attractions: I ordered a CF hugger from Jack Lilley. It has yet
to arrive even though it has shown up on my credit card. Anyway, Steve
is sending me a new style that he says is better than the old ones. I
will post my opinions after I install it.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

Wrestling season has ended and baseball and motorcycle season begins!