[ST] re: Buying a '00 ST?

>  From: Import Auto Works <iawhonda@xxxxxxxxxx>, on 03/12/2001 14:30:
>  Hi,
>  I'm a newbe here.
>  I'm thinking of buying a used '00 ST. Can anyone tell me why I should
>  not? I
>  now you are all biased but please give me the truth. The option is a
>  Honda VFR.
>  I don't know if either will give me the power I want. I like POWER. Can
>  anyone
>  give me a real top speed? Not that is real important but no spec sheet
>  tells.
>  Also I'm afraid of British quality, don't get mad, just tell me if I'm
>  wrong and why.
>  Thank you all!
>  Possible future ST owner
>  Robert

	I own a '00 ST, in Sapphire Blue, of course. I've also ridden a couple
of VFRs. In my opinion the power of the ST is far better than the VFR's power.
A friend of mine that owns a '98 VFR rides my ST occasionally and his comment
is that everything happens 1,000 rpm sooner on my ST than his VFR.
	Real top speed I don't know. I can tell you that even with the panniers
installed and a 250 pound rider the acceleration is great up to about 130 mph.
The acceleration isn't bad above that, but it doesn't hit you as hard. I think
the fastest I've ever had mine is about 145 mph indicated, and that was with
panniers. That wasn't all she had, by any means, just ran out of straight road.
By the way, I have the stock pipe, too, not the performance pipe.
	As far as British quality, I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.
My ST is about to go in for it's 12k service, and some friends have already had
the 24k service on their '99s, all with no significant problems.
	What's the rest of the story? If you're looking at an ST and a VFR,
then you're obviously selecting sport-tourers for a reason. Do you want
luggage? The factory luggage on the ST is great. Givi luggage on a VFR is very
good, too, of course, but just doesn't cut the mustard style-wise. Is it
comfort? I find the ST roomier and I can move around more than on the VFR,
which is good for long trips. If you're wondering what I consider long trips,
my longest day to date is 1,104 miles in 19 hours, 20 minutes. The ST also has
the Triumph tall windscreen, which some of us really like for cooler weather.
Zero Gravity has good offerings for both bikes if you just want a little extra
wind protection.
	I ask because if you just want power, get a Suzuki Hayabusa. It's got a
documented top speed of 190mph right off the showroom floor (Motorcyclist:
189.6). If you want power and really great handling you have a number of great
choices: the new Triumph Daytona, Suzuki GSX-R1000, Honda CBR929RR, Yamaha
YZF-R1, or the Kawasaki ZX-9R. Of course, I wouldn't choose any of those for a
trip longer than 100 miles. Great machines, though. If you want really good
power, really good handling, great luggage, and all-day comfort then you just
can't beat the Sprint ST.

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 red SV650S  "Cherii"