Re: [ST] Tiger engine

At 11:59 AM 3/14/01 -0600, Darwin Holmstrom wrote:
>Eric, I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, as I often am, but I think the
>old cases were die cast and the new cases are pressure cast. Of course I'm
>just half remembering what a Triumph guy told me at a hectic trade show. I
>do know the new cases looked really well finished.

Well, there is always the possibility that I am wrong (as I often make bone
head statements), but in this case I think that I am correct.

Sand Casting as a casting process is very inexpensive (relatively speaking)
and would be the logical choice for a startup company. Die-casting on the
other hand is much more expensive and therefore would be the logical
process for a company to switch to once established. The tolerances on die
cast are far superior to sand cast.

I have never heard of pressure casting, but I do know that Die casting by
definition involves the injection of molten metal into hardened steel dies
under pressure, so maybe that is the same thing ?

I am not a metallurgist, but do play one on the internet ;-)

- -Eric