Re: [ST] State Farm

State Farm was a late-comer to the insurance discussion. But now that
several State Farm customers have voiced conflicting opinions on how rates
are established, I'll add my experience. I've had State Farm insurance on
cars and/or motorcycles for 45 years or more and here is what my agent told
me about motorcycle insurance rates in western Colorado just a few days ago:

She said insurance rates are determined by engine displacement (with obvious
surcharges, I assume, for bad driving records). This first came to light
last year when I sold my BMW R1100R and bought a Honda VTR1000 Super Hawk. I
expected higher rates for a sport bike. Instead, the rates were lower. When
I ask why, the agent said, "Because it's based on displacement." Fine. Being
ever skeptical, I asked her to call the home office and verify her quote.
She did, and it was accurate. My yearly VTR1000 premium was $225.80 for full
coverage (keep in mind that I'm in western Colorado.) I recently bought a
new 2000 Sprint ST and transferred this policy and the cost is apparently
the same. Not to stir up the VFR vs. ST insurance cost controversy, but a
friend of mine, in southeastern Utah, recently bought a new VFR800. He wrote
quoting very high insurance estimates. I mentioned State Farm. He got an
estimate, and he too thought it was too low to be believable. He asked the
agent to call the home office for verification. Now he has full coverage on
the VFR800 for well under $300 per year.

Verle Nelson
Cedaredge, Colorado