[ST] Closing the Gap on the Bar Ends

> Andrew Wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:56:38 -0800
> From: "Andrew" <yogig@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] RS 500 mile service complaints
>
> I took my new 00 RS in for the service today and I told the guy I wanted the
> fuel sender done as per the recall.  I also pointed out a couple other
> details I wanted looked at.  The first was the clutch side bar end billet
> had a gap of about 1/4 in. between the start of the billet and the end of
> the grip.  Secondly I had noticed that there is this big brass washer under
> the triple clamps, and it just spins around when you play with it.  I
> assumed it was some kind of cover for the head bearing, but I was concerned
> because it moved so easily.
>
> I picked up the bike this afternoon, the guy told me they did the service
> and that they lopped 1/4 in. off the clutch clip-on handlebar.

Andrew,

I noticed the same gap on my bar ends upon delivery of my bike with the heated grips
installed, and have seen it on other Triumphs, although my old Trophy bar ends fit
with no gap.

The fix for this is easy.  Take the bar ends off with the central allen bolt, and
you will see that they use a small cylindrical spacer about 1/2 long that sets the
depth of the ends when screwed down.  I used a shop grinder and ground these spacers
down until I got a perfect fit between the bar ends and the end of the grip.  On the
throttle side of course, you want to leave a small gap or else you will wind up with
a "Throttle Meister" instead of a bar end.  The space steel is stainless is appears,
and very hard, so be patient.  You have to hold the spacer on the end of a short
dowel or bolt up against the grinding wheel - just be careful as it is small and
will grab and fly off easily.

I put it back on with some blue locktite on the central allen bolt, and Viola! - a
perfect, professional fit for a perfect bike.

I don't know why your mechanic would cut off the bar ends rather than adjust the
spacer depth.  Hope he doesn't mill the head next time you need a valve adjust.  My
guess would be Triumph could (or might) sell slightly different spacer lengths to
get a better fit on the bar ends, and that a good mechanic would take the trouble to
use them to get a good fit.

Good luck,

Rick Hartwick
2000 Sprint ST Tornado Red