[ST] The weekends racing.

Brands Hatch Sunday 17th.

The one pound day and I still managed to get in without paying. That
was the first result of the day!

We had 4 races. One on the TT600 and three for the T595. Francis
Williamson was riding for us as a one off since his British Superbike
commitments allowed him the time.

He had not riden the TT before and managed to get about 10 minutes
wet pratice in. Yes, it was raining, sleeting and rather chilly in
Kent yesterday.

The grid positions were pre-allocated and for the 600 race he was on
row five. Just about able to see the front! The start was somewhat
hetic and we counted Francis round at 22nd on the first lap in a
gaggle of 600's. In a 10 lap race we could not expect to see him
progress too far up the order, but with his usual perseverance he
managed to overhaul quite a few in front and ended up 15th. The
conditions were certainly not pleasant for the first time on the bike.

The second race was the Supertwins/Triples and 400's. The pre-allocated
grid postion was third row this time. The start was just about perfect
and he was leading into the first corner, with two rather rapid 400's
snapping at his heels. It seemed to take him quite a few laps to adjust
to the larger machine but was able to eventually pull away to win by
10 secs.

The third race was the Champion of Brands, which was open to 600's
GP250's and just about anything else. By this time the track had
dried out and we were able to run without the wet tryes.
Not having practiced with the tyre change, we were on new Bridgestones,
it was going to be interesting to see if the setup was correct. Anyway
a reasonable start was made and probably as expected the 250 and 600's
managed to establish a lead. We were pleased though to see Francis
come home into 6th place. Not bad at all the first over 600.

It was straight out for the last race, no stopping just finished the
Champion of Brands and onto the grid for the last Supertwins etc. A
flyer of a start saw what proved to be an ever increasing lead per
lap. The race was cut back to 9 laps as it was getting late and a bit
dark, but Francis had by that time lapped up to 11th place and came
in 20secs ahead of the 2nd place man.

It was great seeing Francis on the T5 again and we were a bunch of
happy freezing cold bunnies at the end of the day. Just goes to show
how good the Triumph T5 really is. We have the new model on order
for this year and looking forward to getting Adam Lewis out later
in the year with it. Next race is Silverstone. 4 bikes and three
riders, Darren Thomas and Adam Lewis on the 600, Adam on the T5
and Alan Coles on another T5.

Steve.