Re: [ST] Engine Temp-cool down

>>> Spicer <spicer@xxxxxxxx> - 3/19/01 5:50 PM >>>
Jim,

I also have a 2000 RS and while riding at speed the temp ranges from 178
to 182 , however while low speed riding in town or in traffic , the temp
goes to 205 to 215 .  The temp does come down almost instantly with
either the fan or by increasing the speed . I also am concerned what
happens when the temp hits 110 ( I live in arizona) . I think the bike
is operating as designed but I am wondering about this coming summer.
Jerry

On the RS I've noticed that the fan stays on a long time after shutting down the bike. Since idling only seems to increase engine temps, there doesn't seem to be any point in letting the engine run for a minute or so before shutting down. Does the fan alone do much good when the coolant isn't recirculating in the block? Anyone think shutting down an engine that is this warm could pose any long-term problems?

Darwin