[ST] Fuel gauge problem

My fuel gauge is acting strangely, and while the obvious culprit is
the sender, I'm thinking it might be something else.  I have an '01
ST, so the sender should be fine, and I haven't had any leaks (yet).
The gauge used to work perfectly, but with my current tank of gas and
the previous one, it's been weird.  For the first 100 miles or so on
the tank, the gauge is stuck at empty and the low fuel light is on.
At 100 miles, the gauge pops up to where I'd expect, and works
properly until I refuel, at which point the needle sticks at empty
again until half the gas is burned.

I'm thinking it might be a problem with the float.  My gas tank was
replaced when I crashed (about 800 miles or 4.5 tankfuls ago), so I'm
thinking something might have been reassembled improperly.  Rather
than trek out to the dealership, is there anything I can poke at?  I
suppose I could just take the tank apart this weekend, but I was
wondering if I should just go have the sender replaced.  Anyone seen
similar behaviour?

Thanks,

- -Carlin
'84 GPz900 Ninja "Beast