Re: [ST] Throttle locks and Double Bubble windscreen

Speaking of Throttle locks, a friend of mine just installed one on his BMW
R1100 rs. We were just starting a 1000/1 Iron Butt ride when his bike went
up in smoke. It turns out he didn't do such a good job of installing the
device and caused an electrical short with the wiring to his heated grips.
Yes, it sounds like we should take extra special care installing anything on
our bikes. His bike repair bill will be somewhere around 4K.
By the way, I would like to report that two days later, I made my second
attempt to complete a 1000/1 Iron Butt ride with success. It was a wonderful
experience. The ST ran flawlessly. Discomfort was only slight. I live in
Northern California, so my route went from Burney CA, to Reno NV, Winnemucca
NV, Burns OR, Bend OR, Klamath Falls OR, Weed CA, Redding CA and back to
Burney CA. I didn't take many breaks and the trip took 17 hours to the
minute to complete, (only one mistake during the ride, passed an Oregon
State Trooper at 75 mph in the night during a rain shower, I guess I was a
little punchy towards the end, he let me go). I sent in my documentation and
hope to have the trip certified. My partner with the burned bike wishes to
run the ride as soon as his bike is repaired, so, if any of you Nor Cal
Sprint riders are interested, contact me on this list or off list and I will
send you the details of our next attempt. We will most likely attempt on a
Friday, but possibly a Saturday. It is nice to have a couple days of rest
after.
Mike