[ST] Ride to the sun (long)

I slept in too late this morning to make the scheduled rendevous with the
No. Cal  ride so I ended up going in a different direction, east.

I made a loop starting on Hwy 36, cut across to Redding on Hwy 3, and then
Hwy 299 back. This was one of those rides where it was hard to decide
whether to ride it fast because the roads were so great, or ride it slow
because the scenery was so great. Over the 250 miles of the route I had
plenty of opportunities to do both.

Hwy 36 is outstanding. I think I have a new favorite road, and it was
really nice to find a road where the Sprint ST could really be used. I plan
to make a return trip soon with the tank cam. Hwy 36 reminded me a lot of
Patterson Rd on the backside of Mt. Hamilton (for you Bay Area folks) only
a lot smoother, less traffic, and better scenery.

Hwy 3 was another surprise. It started out very twisty and bumpy but with
gorgeous scenery. Lots of bushes and wildflowers in bloom. The road soon
mellowed out into another smooth sweeper filled route.

I got into Redding about 4:00 and as I rode by a bank the temp said 85
degrees. After spending the last week in Ferndale's fog, the warmth of the
sun really felt good. Hwy 299 is one of the most well banked highways I've
had the pleasure of riding.

Ran the last bit of 299 in the dark, since I kept stopping to take
pictures. I was rewarded with a pretty sunset, I just wish I had remembered
to pack a clear faceshield.

I'll post a few of today's pics in a moment.

Hope everyone on the No. Cal ride had fun, for everyone else, tomorrow
starts another weekend, and if it aint here already for you, spring is just
around the corner.

Matt Knowles - matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (707) 786-4643
http://www.aestheticdesign.com