Last good riding days before winter..

Well, today dawned bright, sunny and warm, the last few days of summer
before the all too short autumn, then winter.  Today was always going to be
a good day - I got the ST back after seven weeks - I fell off when someone
cut across me, and I broke my foot (still limping) and have scarring on my
leg, arm and foot (it was over 40 degrees, and I was wearing shorts and a T
shirt - you get complacent after 13 years of accident free riding).  Anyway
the bike is back, and it was a great day for a ride, so off I went. A
couple of hundred k's through Melbourne to Yea, to Yarra Glen back to
Melbourne via a quick trip up and down the Yarra Boulevarde - fantastic.

Can someone tell me when the gearbox is supposed to losen up?  My bike has
just over 1800km on it, so I guess I have a way to go.  But my foot hasn't
healed properly, and shifting gears is a real pain - on my CB750 I have
56,000ks and the box is still pretty smooth, but the ST, it's
terrible.

Phil