[ST] Lost Luggage

I remember this happening to someone else on the list, so I now feel your
pain.  At 65MPH, my right pannier popped off the bike and skidded off the
right side of the road, only to hit an embankment and bounce back out onto
the road, eventually coming to rest in the oncoming lane.  I only noticed
this because a van had stopped in front of me and pulled to the right side
of the road.  I was trying to figure out why they stopped, when I saw a
small shape dart across the road in my mirror.  I turned to see if it was a
dog or a fox, when I noticed the missing pannier.  BUMMER!!  Talk about
scratched!  Luckily the oncoming car simply drove around it, instead of
running it over, or stopping to pick it up.

Looks like I may not have installed the bag correctly, for the lock was
still locked.  I *was* on a fairly bumpy country road (in Central PA, go
figure!).  Looks like I can salvage the painted part with some work.  I have
a friend who is an excellent painter of all things mobile.  The black
plastic is scuffed, but not enough to warrent replacement.

Today's Lesson:  Double check your pannier locks.

- --Joel